Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Inauguration, New President, etc. etc.

I've tried to avoid it but I can't. Every news channel, every radio station, every newspaper, every office conversation, every everything is centered around one thing: Our new President is African-American. If I hear the word African-American one more time I'm going to pull my hair out.

I don't think I'm racist. Yes, I'm prejudiced against certain people and certain things, but it has nothing to do with skin color. Hell, some of my own family members fall into that category :)

I think the country as a whole would be more accepting of Obama as President (not that they aren't, just it seems that some people can't get past his skin color) if the doggone media would just STOP referring to him as "African-American." What about his thoughts on foreign policy, or his thoughts of the economy? We don't hear about that much, but he's AFRICAN-AMERICAN and that's all that matters and all we keep being reminded about. I call bullshit on that. I don't care about skin color, so quit throwing that in our faces and tell me what his first plans are.

I think he tries to get past it alot, he mentions it and then follows with a comment about things he wants to do...but interviewers keep going back and want to harp on his ancestry. And seeing black people on TV talking about how much of a change it's going to be for THEM now that there is a colored man in office just kinda makes me throw up a little. Really? You thought that you had it SO BAD before and all of sudden, just because he's black, you're going to get everything you ever wanted? Trust me when I say I'm not hatin' on the Prez, because I'm not. I just wish we as a country could get past the fact that he's black, or mixed, or whatever, and focus on what he is going to DO.

Yes, it's history making. I get that. But you know what? You aren't going to change some people's mind. And that's true about almost everything. But forcing it down our throats is getting to be a bit much for me.

No comments: